Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two Exhibitions

It has been a while since i've involved myself with any form of photography. Mainly because of my sense of inferiority that distanced myself from this passion of mine. Chance would have it that these two exhibitions approach me, beckoning me to look, feel and connect with the images presented.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Doubleness - Chang Chien-Chi


A documentary photographer, Chang Chien-Chi explores the view of human connectivity in an assortment of projects spanning over countries and over time.

What really touches me about his works is the raw, unabashed look that splays all across the photography. Not some cutting edge grit nor candy floss pretty, it just simply exists in its form, naked to the beholder.

Many thoughts were conjured in my mind as i looked over the photographs through the carefully planned space and lighting constructed to accommodate this exhibition. Emotions surged within my soul as i observed the "The Chain". Moving from one picture to another, my mind was in overload when i suddenly turned around to notice the life size portraits encompassing the entire art space, the magnitude overwhelms me.

The idea of distance between human; the mental, physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of it... just like a mantra i have been repeating to myself again and again, "You are not two souls intertwine but two souls inter-related..." Sigh, how i long to find a complete image of love and not just doubleness of a fragment (of that elusive image).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Voom - Robert Wilson


I came across the interview with Robert Wilson on Prime Time Morning while traveling to work one day. A renowned theatre director, Robert Wilson was always fascinated by portraits, partly due to his lineage to a long line of painters in his family.

Not having the talents of paintbrush and canvas board, Robert took the idea of portraits to the next level. By incorporating his knowledge of lighting and drama while using the medium of film. he create moving stills, live portraits of well known socialites in various forms of pose. While some remain still as a monolith to the unobservant, others playfully tempt and tease with unexpected movements and antics.

Colours in the portraits are vivid and rich, the composition flawless and the lighting spectacular. Backgrounds were used specifically to tastefully accentuate or compliment the subject matter. It is exactly this kind of photography that i would aspire to achieve... to create a world full of memorable colours and cheeky expressions.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going into details here because i have been known to be long-winded but more importantly, whoever out there that is reading this... i would want you to go experience it for yourself, for my craftsmanship in writing can never do justice to the individual artist's work. My words are merely a window into my own experience. Now what your soul yearns to do is to experience for itself.

What i will leave behind is my favourite piece of art there, 'Boris'.

For... i am a tickling beauty in the form of a prickly cutie. =P

No comments: